2017 Juried Exhibition
May 4 – June 2, 2017
The Minto Arts Gallery’s annual juried exhibition is always an incredibly diverse mix of mediums, styles and subjects, with featured artists from across Ontario.
May 17, 2017
7:00 – 9:00 p.m.
Minto Arts Gallery
1st Place (Sponsored by Minto Arts Council) – $200
2nd Place – $150
3rd Place – $100
Viewer’s Choice Award – $50
$30 (up to 3 works accepted)
Deadline for Entry
April 1, 2017
Wesley Bates studied painting and printmaking at Mount Allison University. He works full time as a printmaker and letterpress printer under his own imprint at West Meadow Press in Clifford, Ontario. His wood engraved prints have been exhibited in China, Spain, Japan, England, the U.S.A. and Canada.
Bates’ career has also included writing two books, production of images for a documentary film and
he is presently at work on a word-less graphic novel illustrated entirely with wood engravings.
Bates has taught printmaking and illustration at the Dundas Valley School of Art, Sheridan College, Woodstock Art Gallery, St. Michael’s Printshop, Vancouver Museum, Cincinnati School of Art, University of Lexington and Larkspur Press.
Originally from Toronto, Karen is a multi-disciplined artist living and working in rural Ontario. An international award-winning lettering artist and type designer, she is now following her varied passions and producing more unconventional pieces of art which combine strong design and original techniques with influences from architecture, her rural surroundings, and positive and negative space.
Dot (Currie) Cork
Dot graduated from the New School of Art in 1969 in Toronto where she studied Fine Arts. She moved to Mount Forest in 1976 and founded her own art school where, for the past 37 years, she has taught both children and adults art. Most exhibitions of her work are in Cape Breton Island, Nova Scotia, where she spends four months each year painting her colourful and whimsical “East coast” inspired works of art.
Conditions of Entry
- This call for entry is open to all artists living in Ontario.
- AlI works submitted must have been completed within the last five years and must be original works. Visual arts submissions can include either 2 or 3 dimensional art in multiple disciplines and mediums.
- Due to limited available space in the gallery, the following dimensions are suggested:
• For two-dimensional pieces, the longest dimension should be no greater than 24 inches;
• For sculptures dimensions should be no greater than 36″ H x 20″ W x 20″ D
- Some consideration may be given to slightly larger pieces, however this will be at the discretion of the Minto Arts Gallery in consultation with the jurors and will depend on available space.
- Please submit your entries as follows: Do not submit original work to jury. Only JPEG’s on CD or USB will be considered. No slides or photographs, please. JPEG images should be no larger than 3mb in file size. A maximum of 3 works of art may be submitted. Up to 3 views of three-dimensional works may be submitted.
- Image files must be named with a number at the beginning of the file name (eg: 1artworkname.jpg). A corresponding printed list of files should accompany the CD/USB and include for each piece the artist’s name, title, date, size of work and whether the piece is for sale and price. The Jurors will review the digital submissions received in order to short list the entries to be included in the show. This means that not every item submitted will be included in the show.
- A non-refundable fee of $30 for artwork entered (for a maximum of three works) must accompany the entry form. This will also cover your membership at the Minto Arts Council. Please make cheques payable to: Minto Arts Council, Box 760, Harriston, ON, NOG 1ZO.
- CDs/USBs with a completed and signed entry form and entry fee must be sent to: Minto Arts Council, Box 760, Harriston, ON, NOG 1ZO.
- All entries must be received no later than 5:00 p.m. on April 2, 2017.
- The jury’s decision is final. No entry may be withdrawn once it has been accepted. Successful artists will be notified of the jury’s decision by April 14, 2017.
- CDs and USBs will only be returned if accompanied by a self-addressed, stamped envelope with sufficient postage.
- All successful entries must be delivered, pre-paid, to the Minto Arts Gallery on: Friday, April 21, 2017 (1:00 – 5:00 p.m.) and/or Saturday, April 22, 2017 (11:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.).
- Entries that are shipped are entirely the responsibility of the artist. Please package artwork properly and securely to ensure safe delivery. No collect shipments will be accepted.
- All works must be ready for display. Providing technical equipment for new media works is the responsibility of the artist.
- Works must be picked up on: Friday, June 2 (1:00 – 5:00 p.m.) and/or Saturday, June 3 (11:00 a.m. – 1 :00 p.m.).
- The Minto Arts Council will only assume responsibility for loss or damage due to theft, fire, flood or vandalism while the work is at the Minto Arts Gallery. Minto Arts Council will: provide basic Liability Insurance, and does not provide insurance for works of art or other property belonging to the Artist(s) or Exhibitor(s). If the Artist(s) or Exhibitor(s) require insurance, they must contact their own insurer and arrange an appropriate rider to their own Insurance Policy.
Love the Arts?
You don't have to be an Artist to enjoy the Arts! Whether it's mending the gallery, spreading publicity, the for and after math of shows and events, we couldn't do it all without volunteers. We always welcome new volunteers to our exhibition committee, gallery staff, and Christmas silent auction crew! Contact us now and see what you can do for your community.